Making a list seems to be the thing to do at the start of the year, so here's my contribution of things that we have done that we plan to do again because they are great fun. I could add a few more, but to keep it to a Top 10, I had to do some editing.
- January 1st BTA New Year's Day Ride: traditionally starts under the Morrison Bridge at noon, a great way to start the year with a short ride to think about the future.
- February has the Worst Day of the Year Ride: held on the weekend nearest the day that featured the coldest temperature recorded in Oregon -54 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also a fundraiser for the Community Cycling Center
- March features the Community Cycling Center's Transportation Trivia Night
- April brings us Filmed by Bike, a festival of short films that feature local artists and inspirational stories.
- April has a bonus event of the Ronde which is an ambitious cycling route through the West Hills of Portland where neighbors have started to turn out to watch the hard bodies (and soft ones) of the Oregon cycling scene suffer through an unsanctioned, unorganized ride that has been featured on OPB and other media outlets.
- June is devoted to Pedalpalooza, 3.5 weeks of bike fun that includes the World Naked Bike Ride and many other events.
- July 2nd weekend is Cycle Oregon Weekend Ride: the folks of CO put on a family friendly weekend normally held at a college a short drive from Portland.
- July (last Saturday of the month?) Chris King Gourmet Century - I have called this the best day of food and cycling you can have in Portland and I mean it.
- August is the Bridge Pedal: 18,000 people on bikes in Portland can't be wrong.
- Cyclocross at the Cross Crusade in October: Whether you're a spectator or a participant, checking out the action is a great way to spend a Sunday in the Pacific Northwest. Fun videos here and here & a classic old school summary of what's going on
Of course the Week long Cycle Oregon ride is a classic, the carfree weekend at Crater Lake, and Tour de Lab are some of the great activities that await us in 2014.